5.10.2006

Life begins at . . .

One of the things I can tell you, having gotten to my age relatively sane and healthy, is that there are things you look back on and wonder "Why did I ever lose one second sleep over . . ."

Milestones!

If we are lucky, we will have many in our lives. Our first day of school, first crush, first kiss, getting our license, moving out of our parents house, graduating . . . you get the idea.

Sometimes . . . those milestones make us think about our lives and worry about where we're going, what we've accomplished and sometimes it causes . . . what's the word I want to use . . . angst, concern, worry?

While I never got freaked about how old I was, I did mourn the passing of my twenties. It might sound strange, but the real reason is that I like the number 2 better than the number 3. And to add to the problem, the next number I really like as well as 2 is 7. I know that sounds dumb, but it is true. I loved being 27. As a number, 30 was just awful, and even 32 and 37 didn't hold any comfort for me.

But I got to tell you . . . I truly loved being IN my thirties.

I felt at the height of my powers in my thirties. I had just that right mixture of experience and youth in my thirties. I didn't feel old, I didn't act old, and I still partied my S off.

Once, in elementary school, a teacher asked the whole class what age they thought they'd want to be, if they could be one age forever ( I was like 9 years old). Most chose 21 because, back then, 21 was the age you got to do all the good stuff, drink and vote!! I opted for a slightly older age, 25.

Now, as I approach the inverse of 25, I want to change my answer for Mrs. James. Now, I'd want to be thirty something.

This day, thirty years ago, Rachel was brought into the world by her mother. She has since brought great joy into first, her mother's life, then into her sibling's and stepfather's lives. (Okay, maybe Ben didn't really appreciate you for the first little while, but I'm sure that's changed over the years.) We never quite seem to have as fun much as when she is with us, and trust me babe, we are all laughing WITH you, and we wouldn't change a thing about you.

So, Rach, just in case you are worried , or anxious, or concerned . . . chill. In my book you're still fabulous.

Hippy Birday, Racho!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know. You kit it right. I was sad yesterday. I thought that I should be doing something monumental w/ my last day in my 20's. I mean lets face it. It been an awsome 10 years. I have gotten to do loads of cool stuff. Travel, party etc...
But I actually woke up today ok with it. As in ok, I am 30 now so I guess I should just be happy for my life and accept that it doesn't change too much.
I do feel grown up though. But that didn't just happen today. So, I guess I am trying (although not too hard) to embrace a new decade w/ calm and happiness. Any day that brings me 1,2,3 ok, 7 bunches of flowers from coworkers around me can't be all that bad. Love you Bo. -Rachel

Wed May 10, 12:06:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, the Happy Birthday link is perfect! Wish I'd seen it on Rachel's b-day. Did anyone else hear it? If not, click on the "Happy Birthday, Racho" link at the end of Bo's message.

Fri May 12, 08:49:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home