9.27.2005

Render unto God that which is God's

In April of 1986, I began a journey with a number of other candidates to become a Roman Catholic. I was not engaged to a Catholic. I was not even involved with a Catholic. In my conversations with the Sister in charge of the program, I thought I began to understand how I was being called to the faith, how many things in my life brought me inexorably to the decision, how God was moving in me.

At the Easter Vigil in 1987, I was baptized. It was a wonderful and warm moment. The sense of community was so strong, so compelling, that I was truly filled with joy. And for my part, knowing that I made these decisions without a sense of obligation to another person made me even more sure that what I had done was the right thing for me, and for me alone.

Over the years, many of the most wonderful moments in my life occurred within the walls of a Catholic Church. As the Best Man at my cousin's wedding, I was able to take communion with he and his bride. Later, I became godfather to his first child, as well as godfather to another dear friend's first child.

I married my best friend in the world in a Catholic Church and was welcomed into an entire new family.

Now I have come to realize, 20 years after becoming one, that being Catholic was not the end of the journey for me. My struggles with Vatican doctrine, with what I can only call wholly unchristian acts of some church leaders, have brought me to a crossroads. I see, most clearly, that when God moved in my life so many years ago, he called me to become a Christian. The Catholic Church was a means to that end, but it was not THE end.

I believe, that in his teachings, Jesus really wanted us to love each other. He taught about compassion, understanding, forgiveness. Hate the sin, love the sinner kind of thing. He also spoke of resistance to the evil in our lives, even if that evil is present in the form of powerful governments and institutions.

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.

Each of us must choose our own way in this life. We must ultimately be true to ourselves if we have any hope of salvation. In understanding this, I know there are many Catholics who disagree with statements made by the Vatican or made from the pulpit, yet find the Church a spiritual beacon in their lives. They may feel they cannot turn from the church because of their deeply held beliefs that it is better to agitate change from within rather than leave. While it saddens me, I do not feel that way.

Maybe because I was first politically aware and then spiritually aware, I have ALWAYS believed that religious beliefs may shape our political decisions, but they should not dictate them. The principle on the separation of church and state is central to my belief of what is just and right in American Society. It protects me as a Christian, just as it protect Jews, Muslims and Atheist, from persecution. If Congress passed a law stating that anyone who wanted to live in this country must be a baptized Christian, I would have to leave it even though I am Christian, in short, because it would be just wrong.

I can no longer participate within an organization which preaches love on one hand, and espouses hate on the other; one which allows it's Bishops to protect the "brotherhood" at the expense of our children; or bars homosexuals from the priesthood, insinuating that the child abuse inflicted by priests is solely due to those with that particular sexual orientation.

So I render unto God my belief that he will continue to move within my life, even if the rest of my important moments occur outside the walls of the Catholic Church.

May God be with you in your journey, as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Baldman76 said...

Though I am younger, I feel I was once at a similar place in my own spiritual journey. As many may or may not know, I once found myself at a spiritual crossroads as well, where I knew I could remain in my present faith and feel spiritually adrift, or I could leave the comfort of the familiar and strike out in search of something else that more clearly spoke to my soul- something that seemed to better embody the truths I held to be dear. I was without a church or a specific doctrine for 6 or 7 years, but I never lost faith in Christ and never once felt that I was not where I was supposed to be. I wasn’t lost, I was searching, and that searching was always with my heart and head directed towards God. When the time came for me to once again enter into a formalized doctrine, it was the Catholic Church that spoke to me.

I firmly believe that everyone does not need to find Christ in the same manner. If an individual feels that they are hearing the call of the Lord and it takes a different path than most others are going, one must have faith and go where he or she feels led. Faith in Christ will ultimately lead us all to the same place. So good luck in your journey. ...a relevant quote by Walt Whitman:

Re-examine all that you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss that which insults your soul.

Fri Sep 30, 10:01:00 PM 2005  
Blogger (jim) Bo Ba Log said...

Love that quote!!! Thanks

Mon Oct 03, 01:51:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home