9.24.2005

Speaking of things that piss you off

Okay, this is the first of what I want to call something like "Why the f...?" You'll recognize this as what most people now call rants. But I'm of a different generation, and I'm made of . . . well. . . coarser stuff.

So my first is . . . Why the f... can't manufacturers get together and make all the AC adapters they send along with their little electronic devices work with all the other devices? I mean, is this really difficult?

I don't have that many "personal" electronic devices; an iPod, a cell phone, a digital camera and a Palm Pilot. But my life is a freaking amazon of various cords and wires. And why is this? Because every manufacturer has their own "special adapter".

Personally, I feel like if they were all that special, they'd do something besides charge/power the device they were plugged into. Maybe something like . . .act as an emergency lighting device in case of power failure. Think about it. The next time the wind blows out your power, instead of stumbling through a dark house to find a flashlight only to find that the batteries are shot, you'll have all the little ac adapters in your house helpfully lighting your way.

Only in my house, I'd need switches to turn the lights off, because it would be brighter when the lights went out.

Anyway, you can go to Radio Shack and buy one that fits almost anything. Why can't they just supply them? Why can't they all get together and fix on one plug? Hell, why can't one manufacturer decide on one plug. I've had three Motorola cell phones in my life and they've each used a different plug. Why is that?

Think about the resources used for all these adapters. Think of the man hours, the packaging, the toxic waste, the MONEY.

And don't tell me that they create jobs. It the adapter was standardized, we'd have another whole industry grow up around creative ideas of how to intergrate these adapters into our everyday life, our home wiring, or our car wiring. Things would be BETTER. And then we'd all be marketed to to buy generation 3 of the "new" smoke detector / ac adapter. Jobs for marketers, commercial producers , shippers & manufacturer's.

Why the f... not?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Waldie said...

I totally agree, and I have, probably 30 AC adapters.

You have inspired me, along with a very annoying phone call I had this morning. Therefore, I will be starting a new series on my blog, entitled "Why I hate..." As you know, I hate lots of things, so stay tuned.

Mon Sep 26, 11:53:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home